Following the great success of our first two Early Music Weekends in 2018, we are already planning the 3rd edition which will take place on 10-12 May 2019.
The Donostia International Early Music Weekend Workshops are for anybody who plays a 16th or 17th century instrument as well as all singers. The focus is on larger-scale, polychoral works although we also take time to explore some more intricate, intimate pieces. Here you can find a list of repertoire covered in previous editions of this workshop.
Open, once more to singers and players of 16th/17th century instruments, this weekend workshop will explore the glories of polychoral music from the Renaissance and Baroque eras. Directed by Adam Woolf and set once again in the wonderful acoustic of San Sebastian’s beautiful Basilica of Santa Maria del Coro, stimulating rehearsals will cover a variety of performance techniques, and address musical interpretation and historical practises. We will take part in the Sunday morning mass and the weekend will close with a public concert, also in the Basilica.
The repertoire will be a mix of vocal and instrumental works by well-known 16th and 17th century composers, such as Gabrieli, Praetorius, Schütz, Victoria and Guerrero. Music will be selected according the size of the workshop with some smaller-scale chamber music coaching, and specialised string sessions given once more by Mau Ziemkiewicz.
To make the most from your visit, individual lesson time or small group coaching with specialist wind and string tuition can be arranged either side of the workshop. This is not included in the price of the workshop. Please contact us for more details.
Daily Timetable (subject to change)
1700-1830 – tutti rehearsal
2000-2200 – tutti rehearsal
1000-1300 – rehearsal – optionally instruments alone
1500-1700 – rehearsal
1900-2100 – rehearsal
1000-1100 – rehearsal
1130-1230 – participation in church service
1430-1700 – rehearsal for concert
1800-1900 – closing concert
Course fee: €90 (not including accommodation or meals). 15% discount for students. 15% discount for Early Birds applying before Jan 31st 2019. (Student Early Birds: 20% discount.
To apply, please CONTACT ME giving your name, instrument or voice, indication of level and any other relevant information.
From recent workshops:
Testimonials from Donostia Early Music Weekends
- Thank you Adam for a wonderful three days of passionate and inspiring teaching. I look forward to our future plans. [sackbut player from Australia]
- Thank you. You’re pretty special, dedicated et al to work with too. You bring out the best in people: which is a rare gift. I will count that weekend very special. [singer from England]
- Aprovecho para decirte que el Workshop me pareció fantástico. La preparación, el repertorio, la dirección, todo perfecto. (cornetto player from Bilbao)
- Thank you Adam to organize and make this hapen, It was a great experience for me. And yes, I will be very happy if you organice another course in San Sebastian. [string player from San Sebastián]
- I would like to thank you for all the hard work you put into the recent DIEM weekend in San Sebastian. It was a wonderful and unforgettable experience. (singer from the UK)
- I really enjoyed participating in such a challenging programme. It was fun being a proper part of the ensemble singing together with wonderful and enthusiastic instrumentalists. And a joy to work with you Adam – never a cross word – only ever smiling encouragement! (singer from the UK)